Last Modified: September 13, 2018
9GAG Limited is a media company. Our mission is to make the world happier.
When you use these services, you’ll share some information with us. We want to explain clearly what information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it, whom we share it with, and the controls we give you to access, update, and delete your information.
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you choose to give us
- Information we get when you use our services
- Information we get from third parties
Here’s how we collect your information.
How We Collect Information
Information You Choose To Give Us
We may collect personal data from you, such as your first and last name, gender, e-mail and mailing addresses, professional title, company name and password when you create an account to log in to our network.
We may collect personal data from you, such as your first and last name, gender, e-mail and mailing addresses, professional title, company name and password when you complete any field in our checkout process.
When you order services on our site, we will collect all information necessary to complete the transaction, including your name, credit card information, billing information and shipping information.
We may retain information on your behalf, such as files and messages that you store using your account.
We also collect other types of personal data that you provide to us voluntarily, such as your operating system and version, product registration number, and other requested information if you contact us via e-mail regarding support for these services.
Lastly, when you contact us or communicate with us in any way, we’ll collect any information you give us.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
To make our site and services more useful to you, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) may collect information from you, including your browser type, operating system, IP address, domain name, date and/or time stamp for your visit.
Information We Collect From Third Parties
We may collect information from our affiliates and third parties. For example:
- If you use your Google or Facebook account to sign up or sign in to our services, we may receive information so you can create or access your 9GAG account.
- We may receive personal and/or anonymous data about you from companies that provide our services by way of a co-branded or private labeled website, or companies that offer their products and/or services on our site. These third party companies may supply us with personal data.
How We Use Information
We use your information to provide you with the best products and services we can build and improve. Here’s what we use this information for:
- To develop, maintain, improve, deliver, and protect our products and services
- Monitor and analyze trends and usages of our products and services
- Send you communications, including by e-mail. Examples include using e-mail to respond to support inquiries, or to share information about our products, services, and promotional offers that we think may interest you
- Personalize our services by showing you better and more relevant content
- Provide ad targeting and measurement, including the use of your precise location information to show relevant ads
- Enhance and enforce the safety and security of our products and services
- Verify your identity and prevent fraud, or other authorized and illegal activity
- Use information we’ve collected cookies and other data to enhance our services and products
- Enforce our Terms of Service and other usage policies
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
With our affiliates. We may share information with the entities within the 9GAG Limited family of companies.
With third parties. We may share your information with third parties. Examples include:
- With service providers. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf.
- With business partners. We may share information about you with business partners that provide services and functionality.
- With third parties for legal reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is necessary. Examples include:
- To comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule or regulation.
- To investigate, enforce, or remedy potential Terms of Service violations
- To protect the safety, rights, and property of 9GAG, our users, or others.
- To detect and resolve any fraud or security matters or concerns.
- With third parties as part of a merger or acquisition. If 9GAG Limited gets involved with a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation, bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with the company before, during, and after the transaction.
We may also share aggregated, non-personally identifiable, or de-identified information with third parties.
Third-Party Content and Integrations
Our services may contain third-party links and search results, include third-party integrations, or offer a co-branded or third-party-branded-service. Through these links, third-party integrations, and co-branded or third-party-branded services, you may be providing information, including personal information, directly to the third party, to us, or to both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party service you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our services.
Analytics and Advertising Services
Provided by Others
Some companies, including our affiliates, may use information collected on our services to measure the performance of ads and deliver more relevant ads, including on third-party websites and apps.
Provided by Us
Control over Your Information
At 9GAG, your privacy is important to us. We want you to have control over the information you give us, the information we use, and the information we keep. These are the tools we provide you to control your information:
- Download My Data. You can request your data to be sent to you.
- Removing Permissions. If you agree to let us use your information, you can change your mind at any time by changing the settings on your device. If you remove permission, certain services may be impacted and may lose functionality.
- Deletion. We hope you remain a 9GAG user for life, but if you want to delete your account, please contact us.
Users in the European Union and European Economic Area
If you’re a user in the European Union or European Economic Area, please note that 9GAG Limited is the data controller of your information. Here’s additional information we would like you to know:
Bases For Using Your Information
Your country only allows us to use your personal information when certain conditions apply or are met. These conditions are called legal bases. At 9GAG, we rely on one of the following bases:
- Contract. We may use your information because you’ve entered into an agreement with us. For example, when you buy our merchandise and have accepted our Terms and Services, we may use some of your information to collect payment and to make sure you receive the right product, at the right time, to the right address.
- Legitimate Interest. We may use your information because we - or a third party - has a legitimate interest. For example, we need to use your information to provide, maintain and improve our services. This includes protecting your account, providing customer support, and ensuring you receive the products you ordered and paid for. We believe legitimate interest does not outweigh your right to privacy, so we only rely on legitimate interest when we think the way we are using your data does not significantly impact your privacy.
- Consent. We may ask for your consent to use your information for specific purposes. If we do, we’ll make sure you can revoke your consent in our services or through your device permissions at any time. Even if we’re not relying on consent to use your information, we may ask you for permission to access data such as your location.
- Legal obligation. We may use your personal information when we are required to comply with the law, such as when we respond to valid legal process or need to take action to protect our users or employees.
Your Right To Object
9GAG Limited understands that you have rights over your personal information, and takes reasonable steps to allow you to access, correct, amend, delete, port, or limit the use of your personal information. If you are unable to change your personal information within your account settings, or if you are concerned about data collected as you visit 9GAG Shop or use our support services, please contact us to make the required changes. It’s important to remember that if you delete or limit the use of your personal information, the Services may not function properly.
We may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and process it in the United States and other countries outside of where you live. When we share information of EU and EEA users outside the EU or EEA, we make sure an adequate transfer mechanism is in place. For internal transfers, we rely on the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield.
Your Right To Complain
If you’re based in the EU or EEA and have a complaint, you can file your complaint with the supervisory authority in your Member States. For example, if you’re based in the UK, you can file a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Our services are not intended for anyone under 13. We don’t direct our services to anyone under 13.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13. We may limit how we collect, use and store some of the information of EU or EEA users between ages 13 and 16. If we need to rely on consent as a legal bases for processing your information and your country requires consent from a parent, we may require your parent’s consent before we collect and use that information